How to use engagement data to drive a more personalised CX
3-part series | Episode 1
Targeted personalisation, our top 3 tips to help you design a richer customer experience.
Eloqua’s segmentation capability is a powerful tool, it’s where your personalisation efforts begin. If you’re still thinking in terms of a list, then you’re missing out. Want to learn why? Keep reading…
Why this topic?
This month is episode one in a three-part series, “How to use engagement data to drive a more personalised CX” from February – April 2023.
In our discussions with clients, it’s clear marketers want to create more personalised experiences.
In 2022, our client Flight Centre Travel Group won The Builder Markie Award for Best Global CX Program.
A key aspect of this campaign was personalisation, combined with personas and highly tailored journeys following initial enquires.
We believe others want to do as the team at Flight Centre has done, this 3-part series goes part way to helping you see what’s possible.
With changes proposed to the Australian Privacy Act legislation, Australian marketers need to double their efforts to build richer 1st-party data profiles.
We’ll have more information on this topic and ways Oracle Eloqua can help you remain or become compliant. You should already be having discussions with your in-house counsel on this topic.
The first step, have clarity about your buyer’s journey.
Observable buyer behaviour is the Digital Body Language™️ you have access to from within Eloqua through tools such as Segments, Shared Filters, Lead Scoring etc. You must first have clarity about your prospective clients and their buyer stages. How do you do that?
A critical step for marketers in Australia and more generally, everywhere is the capture of 1st-party data. With the Australian Federal Governments proposed privacy law changes this year, marketers need to move sooner rather than later to grow their 1st-party data and to ensure you have rock solid opt-ins.
Mapping your buyer’s journey
By mapping your customer/buyer’s journey, you can begin to understand what to do to support your buyer on that journey, and how you can influence the buyer and their decisions throughout that journey.
Capture the data that matters
The more you know about a person, the greater your ability to tailor their experience. It could be as simple as knowing their industry, or a prospective student’s primary study area of interest. You need to ask questions that will help deliver a richer CX, don’t just ask the same old questions.
Your personalisation efforts begin with Eloqua’s Segment/Audience builder.
You have 65+ filters to help you access both profile and engagement data. When you add the variables of each filter, you have hundreds, perhaps thousands of combinations to build a very targeted audience.
How do you do that? You have three keys tools to help, Segments, Shared Filters and Lead Scoring. You could argue the Campaign Canvas is an additional tool.
Eloqua’s Multi-Step Campaigns | The Campaign Canvas
Create your audience from templates and then personalise further based on campaign objectives.
Shared filters allow you to apply the same filters used in Segments, directly on the Campaign Canvas.
Lead Scoring adds insight to your Segment building with a combined view of profile and engagement data.
Personalisation is more than just simply greeting a person by their first name.
When your campaign objective is clear, it’s much easier to build your Segment or Audience in Eloqua.
For example, you may receive a request from the business to run a specific campaign. They will generally provide you with a fixed list of people or a very profile-based outline which doesn’t take into consideration any of the Digital Body Language™ you have access to.
The key is to combine all of the tools at your disposal. The business may suggest 35,000 people be included in a campaign, with a single message.
With the additional insight you have, you may suggest altering the copy to be more relevant to subsets of people within the 35,000.
Our top 3 tips to help you design a richer CX
I looked at three types of campaigns, where changes could be made to enhance the overall customer experience you deliver. With some input from the team here are Marketing Cube, we arrived at the following three campaign types:
Create unique, tailored & personalised nurture campaigns
By making time to analyse your nurture campaign performance, you can begin to understand which emails are performing better than others. From there, you can begin to look at various ways to modify people’s nurture journey based on their engagement, or lack of engagement.
One simple change is to remove some people from your nurture campaign if they’re not engaging at all. Email may not be the best channel, perhaps an outbound call from a sales executive is a better approach.
Personalise the registration experience at your next event
Suggestions for your next event:
- Don’t just ask the same questions again and again. Use Eloqua’s Progressive Profiling so you’re only asking questions that you don’t already know the answer to.
- Think through the profile data you need, in order to provide Sales with better-qualified leads and ask those questions. Do worry about “How would you rate the venue?”, unless your hosting the event at a refuse centre, ask questions that matter and provide you with insight.
- Use Dynamic Content, with profile & engagement data, to tailor invitations and post-event communications.
Use Dynamic Content & 1st-party to tailor your newsletters
Newsletters do not have to be static:
- Tailor newsletter articles based on geography, industry and other profile data
- Dynamic Content allows you to have e.g. eight news articles, however, any one person will only see e.g. four articles. Remember Dynamic Content can contain images, text and field merges.
- Your 1st-party data should help you tailor newsletters combined with data captured from your preference centre
What’s new? What’s coming soon?
Release 23A went live in February with a range of new enhancements. The exciting news is that we can expect a significant upgrade to the Eloqua user interface this year.
The last significant user interface change was in 2016. Since then, there have been a few tweaks. With the arrival of Eloqua release 23B in May, we’re expecting a significant change.
The Eloqua Product Marketing team showcased a number of screens during the February Release update webinar. We’ll be hosting a webinar for clients in May to provide an overview of the new interface.
Release 23A highlights
- HTML Markup in Insight: Leverage HTML markup to add design features and help you personalise reports and dashboards. For example, you can add your logo to reports being delivered to team members.
- Email Frequency by Email Group: New report helps you improve campaign performance and manage deliverability. You’ll be able to
- Automated Certificate Management: Now also display details on DNS configuration and any required updates. Controlled availability program extended to PODs 3 & 4.
- Oracle Eloqua SMS: Folder management and segment filter updates
- Eloqua Form Application API: When a form is created, updated, or retrieved using the Application API 2.0 endpoints the response body will return all mapped and unmapped fields present. [Product Notice]
- Eloqua’s Move to (Oracle Cloud Infrastructure) OCI: Move to OCI will be complete for POD 3 & 4 customers [Product Notice]
- Oracle Cloud Accounts: To prepare for Eloqua’s inclusion in the Oracle Cloud Portal in 23B, Admins can provide specifics for your organisation’s Oracle Cloud Account in preparation [Product Notice]
- Loads of Salesforce App enhancements and more!
Marketing Automation Agency Services
Since 2007, Marketing Cube has been a trusted partner for marketing automation clients, specialising in Eloqua. In 2018, we expanded our expertise to include services for Salesforce Marketing Cloud clients. Our team excels at implementing your chosen platform and providing comprehensive agency services.
With a track record of assisting nearly 150 customers across diverse industries and geographies, we offer traditional application support and efficient help desk services.
If you’re seeking agency services, such as strategic guidance, end-user coaching, training, campaign support, and more for Oracle CX Marketing or Salesforce Marketing Cloud, reach out to us today to discuss how we can best assist you.